19 Mar 2019 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm MDT
In this Cosmos Café, we will support guest Davor Löffler with the intention of spicing up his main oeuvre (Generative Realities) with additional appetizers and ingredients (points of entry such as Piaget stages of cognition, Micheal Commons’ postformal stages, Heidegger’s “The Question Concerning Technology”). Davor intends for this to be an open discussion.
Reading / Watching / Listening
I thought that it would make sense to provide you with some additional material that might facilitate the understanding without having to read the whole thing, also so that I don’t have to explain these in detail it if somebody is not familiar with it yet. This would be the following list – at first it might seem as if it makes things more complicated, but in the long run it would make them even easier.
- The first is Heidegger’s technology-text, the concept of enframement and revealing (attached – ca. 30 pages)
- Then Piaget’s concept of stages of cognition – here one could ask whether Gebser’s stages are reflected in Piaget’s stages, and if so how this is possible (beyond them being contemporaries and their work being an example of a multiple discovery). Of course also then this leads to postformal stages, which have been for example attributed to holistic thinking and other “higher” integrative modes of cognition.
One take on postformal stages:
- The concept of cumulative culture; it would be sufficient to read the intro of this paper:
This would provide some points of entry to the “Generative Realities”-concept and also some links to the general scope of inquiries at the Cosmos Cafe.
Context, Backstory, and Related topics
- Cosmos Café [2/26] – Introduction to Davor Löffler’s Generative Realities 3
- Cosmos Café [3/5] – Onset of Outsight 1
- Cosmos Café [3/12] – Machine Learning